Each career path is unique. You can determine what success looks like for your chosen path by reviewing VA competencies. VA competencies are the knowledge, skills, abilities and characteristics required to succeed in your current job or advance to a new position.
All competencies fall into one of two categories: “VA All Employee Competencies” or “Leadership Competencies.” Together, these guidelines provide a common language across VA for discussing employee development and performance. Understanding VA competencies will empower you to:
- Plan your professional growth and development,
- Identify the right training opportunities, and
- Evaluate your progress.
All Employee Competencies
All Employee Competencies are the core skills that every VA employee must master to be successful in his or her job. The All Employee Competency Model provides definitions and examples for each competency. The All Employee Competency Brochure describes how each competency is applied on the job.
The ability to lead and manage teams is fundamental to many VA positions. Leadership Competencies are the knowledge, skills and abilities that are critical for effective leadership. The Leadership Competency Model defines each competency, while The Leadership Competency Brochure describes how leadership skills are successfully carried out on the job.
Next Step: Explore Careers at VA
Once you have identified the competencies you have mastered and the new skills you would like to gain, you are ready to use MyCareer@VA’s career planning tools.
- Complete the My Career Fit Tool to find jobs at VA that match your interests and skills.
- Explore positions across VA and review detailed job descriptions with the VA Career Guides.
- Use the My Career Mapping Tool to chart a path from the job you have today to the one you want in the future.