Do you want to gain real world experience and learn about different career fields? VA offers multiple internship programs for current students, recent graduates, VA employees, Veterans, and outside applicants. Each program is unique – the information below will allow you to explore program-specific eligibility requirements, qualifications, service obligations, and more.
Why We Serve
A VA internship provides amazing opportunities for you to serve our Nation’s Veterans and gain first-hand experience in your chosen career field. View the For Our Vets video – created by a VA intern – to learn more about why we serve.
Find the VA Internship Program that is Right for You
The table below provides a summary of the internship programs at VA. You can compare VA internship programs here and read more about each one to find the program that is right for you. Want help preparing and applying for internships? Use the Career Hub to get step-by-step guidance. Interested in the Pathways Programs? Visit Pathways at VA.
|Pathways Internship Program||Allows students to join VA in career positions that emphasize long-term training and development.||Varies|
|Veterans Affairs Learning Opportunity Residency (VALOR)||Provides students with the opportunity to develop competencies in clinical nursing, pharmacy, and medical technology during residency at an approved VA health care facility.||One year|
|Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP) for College Students with Disabilities||Provides internships that may lead to permanent positions for individuals with disabilities.||12 weeks (summer)|
Current Students and Recent Graduates
|Graduate Healthcare Administration Training Program (GHATP): Health Systems Management Trainee Program||Offers employees opportunities to advance their careers. Develops highly trained health care administration professionals who provide staff support to key health care management officials within VA medical facilities.||One year|
|Graduate Healthcare Administration Training Program (GHATP): Interns/Recent Graduates||Supplements the teaching component of health services administration graduate programs. Provides in-hospital experiences for students who are receiving or who have just received their master’s degrees.||One year|
|National Diversity Internship Program (NDIP)||Offers temporary student internships for diverse student populations.||Typically 10 to 14 weeks (usually summer)|
|Presidential Management Fellows (PMF)||Provides unique leadership, training, and development opportunities for advanced degree candidates at the entry level of their career, who are expected to be change leaders at VA.||Two years|
|VA Acquisition Academy Acquisition Internship School: Acquisition Internship Program (AIP)||Provides practical, hands-on experiences in VA contracting organizations.||Two years|
|Pathways Recent Graduates Program||Provides recent graduates with opportunities to enter VA in career positions.||One year|
|Technical Career Field (TCF) Program||Develops interns' technical skills to meet VA's mission critical needs.||Two years|
|Cemetery Administrator (Director) Intern Program||Teaches interns about VA’s mission to serve Veterans, Service Members, and families through burial and memorialization, and provides training in leadership, cemetery management, and operations.||One year|
|VA Acquisition Academy Acquisition Internship School: Warriors to Workforce Program (W2W)||Prepares wounded Veterans for a transition into a career as a Contract Specialist.||One year|
Internships by Geographic Location
VA has more than 600 internship positions in over 100 different cities across the country. This data is from the Pathways Internship Program, which represents the largest percentage of interns at VA. Data as of May 31, 2015.
Internships by Administration
VA’s internship positions are distributed among the three Administrations and Staff and Field Offices to meet the broad range of needs facing the Department. This data reflects VA internship positions through the Pathways Programs. Data as of September 2015 (FY 2015).
Current Internship Openings
- Section Chief of Hospitalist Medicine Service (Acute Medicine)Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration (VM 00-00)
- Registered Nurse for Operative Care DepartmentVeterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration (VN 00-00)
- Staff Physician (Hospitalist-Acute Medicine and Surgery)Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration (VM 00-00)
- Staff Physician (Hospitalist-Acute Medicine)Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration (VM 00-00)
- Nurse Practitioner (Hematology Oncology)Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration (VN 00-00)
- Student Trainee (Administration/ Office Management)Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration (GS 03-05)
- Student TraineeVeterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration (GS 04-04)
- Student Trainee (Admin Office) InternshipVeterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration (GS 04-05)
- Health System Specialist (Student Trainee)Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration (GS 04-04)
- Pathways Student Trainee (Admin/Office Management)Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration (GS 04-04)
- Health Technician (Student Trainee - Pathways Internship)Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration (GS 04-04)
- Student Trainee (Pathways/Supply)Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration (GS 04-05)
- Student Trainee (Medical & Health) InternshipVeterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration (GS 04-04)
- PATHWAYS INTERN (PUBLIC AFFAIRS)Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration (GS 05-05)
- Pathways Summer Intern (Student Trainee (Medical and Health))Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration (GS 05-07)
- Student Intern (Accountant)Veterans Benefits Administration (GS 05-07)
- Student Trainee (Medical & Health) InternshipDepartment of Veterans Affairs - Agency Wide (GS 05-05)
- Supervisory Human Resources Specialist (Recruitment & Placement/ Compensation)Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration (GS 12-12)
Above you can see current openings from USAJOBS for the majority of internship positions at VA. To find information about how to view and apply to other VA internship program positions that are not posted on USAJOBS, visit the internship program pages listed in the table on the left.
Pathways at VA
The Pathways Programs at VA provide students and recent graduates with the opportunity to learn, grow, and serve in a career position at VA. Learn more about Pathways at VA.