There are many ways to grow and develop in your career. Most of our learning occurs through on-the-job work experiences. The majority of what individuals need to know about a career is learned in the workplace through on-the-job experiences. We also learn by working with others and gaining insight into their knowledge and experience. Formal training is another development option, which can occur in a classroom, workshop, or via remote, e-learning sessions.
On-the-Job Experience is development through identifying and pursuing on-the-job opportunities such as solving problems, special assignments, and other day-to-day activities:
- On-the-job experiences might be:
- Trying a new skill, such as making presentations, organizing activities, spearheading a cause or training others
- Improving a process or procedure that is inefficient or out of date
- Training others - demonstrating, explaining or presenting
- Working on challenging tasks by trying to learn before seeking help
Working with Others involves learning from meaningful relationships by gaining feedback, observing role models and networking.
- Working with others might be:
- Finding formal or informal role models or mentors at work who are competent at a skill you desire to learn
- Shadowing a high-performer you admire
- Informally soliciting feedback from your peers, direct manager and other managers
- Having one-on-one discussions to work through problems
Formal Training is primarily learning through traditional methods, such as formal courses, e-learning, blended learning or other formalized programs. This typically involves learning concepts first and then applying them to work-related activities.
- Formal training might be:
- Attending a training course
- Applying and participating in a formal leadership program
- Pursuing a degree or certificate in your area of interest
- Reading, studying and learning from books, periodicals or online resources
It is important to have an understanding of these learning options as they will help you advance your personal career development.